Its Official! OET@Home. NMC UK accepts online OET exam from 10 October 2020.
OET@Home is the latest update facilitating the candidates to appear in the OET from their homes amidst the Pandemic and ensure personal and social safety.
Following a successful pilot from OET, we will be accepting the OET@Home test as evidence of English language competency from 10 October 2020.
From 19th September, NMC will also accept the new OET on the computer test, which allows candidates to take the OET on a computer at a test centre instead of a paper test. Candidates will be able to choose how they want to take the OET depending on their situation.
IELTS and OET are the two tests accepted by the NMC UK to prove the English language ability and competence of the nurses.
In order to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), every applicant nurse must satisfy the NMC that you have the necessary knowledge of English. Effective communication skills are essential to providing safe and effective care, so the NMC needs to be assured that those applying for registration or readmission to the register have the necessary knowledge of English.
The OET@Home test allows candidates to take the OET on their computer at home or other chosen location instead of having to travel to a test centre via remote proctoring. It uses the same test material, format, tasks and activities as the test venue centres.
Before booking OET@Home, please check that you are able to meet the following system requirements:
1) Laptop or PC/desktop computer with a web camera. No macs. If you’re using a desktop computer, your web camera must be able to move so that you can show the proctor the area around you. IMPORTANT: No dual monitors are allowed (i.e. a desktop with two monitors or a laptop with a separate monitor)
2) Screen Resolution: 1920 x 1080
3) Operating System: Windows 7 or higher
4) Web Browser: Current version of Google Chrome. Download Chrome.
5) Internet Connection Speed: Good speed (0.6 Mbps as a minimum)
**For full details, please see the OET@Home User Guide.
Please note: For the first few months after the test is launched, OET@Home seats will be by invitation only. This is to enable the test providers toprioritize seats for candidates who are in locations where it is extremely difficult or if not impossible to attend a test centre, or who have been deferred longest due to Covid-19.